Alliance Defending Freedom International sucht UN Counsel
Everyone says they want to change the world. We’re looking for people who actually will.
ADF International is a human rights organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith. Please visit our career site to view our Statement of Faith and Guiding Principles.
ADF International seeks a
to join the team in Geneva, Switzerland.
As UN Counsel, you are a vital part of the International Team. In this role, you will report to Director of UN Advocacy and are responsible for undertaking legal advocacy at the United Nations with a high degree of independence and self-direction. You are experienced in Public International Law, particularly Human Rights Law, and familiar with the processes of the United Nations. You will be charged primarily with drafting legal documents and advising States and UN Experts.
Your Essential Responsibilities:
In this position, you will:
• Assist and coordinate with the UN Counsel (Geneva) and the Director of UN Advocacy (New York).
• Day-to-day engagement in written and oral advocacy at the UN-Geneva
• Draft interventions and submissions
• Work collectively with allies and coalitions to promote our values and principles in defense of life, traditional marriage and family, and religious freedom.
• Draft high-quality scholarly articles, memos and other written communications.
• Attend meetings at the United Nations
• Review and edit written work from other team members
• Conduct training events
• Present at conferences
• Interpret international law for UN Member States, allies, and UN experts
• Build a solid base of UN contacts
• Train junior counsels and fellows; perform quality control via review and editing of trainee’s drafts; in-house workshops, and one-on-one mentoring
Skills you need to succeed:
Demonstrated proficiency in:
• Both supporting and leading others
• High level interpersonal and relationship building skills
• Capable and comfortable working with Roman Catholic hierarchy and leaders
• Capable of oral presentations with excellence
• Capable of engaging in debates and countering arguments “on your feet”
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, etc)
• Research and draft sophisticated memos, interventions, and submissions at the highest level for UN-Geneva and related institutions
• Build coalitions and develop and maintain key relationships, allies, and alliances
• Increase our presence at the UN-Geneva and related institutions
• Develop and implement strategy and tactics for succeeding on our issues at the UN-Geneva and related institutions
• Write and speak with excellence in English
• Fluent in a second language, preferably an official UN language
• European Citizenship required and must be able to work in Geneva, Switzerland
• Travel internationally
Education and/or experience:
• Academic excellence
• Track record of success
• Relevant experience or work in the religious freedom area
• International experience
Has your interest been piqued? We hope so, and we want to hear from you today if you have the desire and passion to serve at ADF International! Apply for this position via this link.