European Society for Medical Oncology seeks Public Policy Projects Manager
The European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) is seeking to recruit a
Public Policy Projects Manager
based in its Brussels office, ideally beginning as soon as possible or at a mutually agreed date.
ESMO’s public policy activities support ESMO and its members by engaging with EU authorities and international institutions on issues related to the practice and profession of medical oncology. They help ESMO and its members in their mission and activities by providing specific support concerning political, European and global affairs. Proactive in public policy in Brussels, ESMO’s political initiatives aim to promote the medical oncology profession and keep cancer policy high on the European healthcare agenda. ESMO’s Public Policy activities have a dual focus: European and Global. They address political topics of concern to ESMO and its members, with a specific focus on promoting the practice and the profession of medical oncology and diminishing the discrepancies in the quality of cancer care. The Committees collaborate closely with leading oncology societies and patient groups and coordinate their activities with key stakeholders to assure that the oncology community speaks with one united voice.
The role of the Public Policy Projects Manager will be to assist the Head of Public Policy in implementing a wide-ranging portfolio related to cancer policy at the EU level. The role will require a deep understanding of the policy environment surrounding health issues (oncology would be an advantage), engagement with patient organizations & other relevant stakeholders, excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to multi-task. The Projects Manager will be expected to be independent and proactive, and will also be willing to travel if need be (for example, ESMO Congresses). This is an exciting role for someone who wants to be involved in the oncology sector, is willing to learn and to grow.
This position is essential to the Public Policy team and the Projects Manager may be asked to take additional responsibilities as needs arise.
THE job description
- Assist with implementing the objectives of the Public Policy Department
- Organizing high-level meetings (internal and external)
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders (patient engagement an advantage)
- Administrative duties and ad hoc duties
- Experience in creating programmes for scientific congresses – an advantage
- Ability to complete projects efficiently and independently
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to manage relationships with different stakeholders, and communicate messages effectively
- In-depth knowledge of EU institutions and policy
- Excellent social and communication skills
- Proficiency in Outlook and Microsoft Programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Passion for working in the field of health policy
Education & Experience:
- Bachelors in Political Science or a related subject (Masters an advantage)
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience in EU policy environment (with a focus on health policy, oncology an advantage)
- At least 2 years experience working with patient organizations (an advantage)
- Relevant experience liaising & engaging with different relevant stakeholders
- Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within a cross-departmental team.
- Ability to remain calm during busy periods.
- Flexible in terms of traveling to meetings as and when needed
- A valid EU working permit
To apply, please provide by the 4th of May 2018 via e‐mail (preferred) or regular mail and in English only to Andrea Abbatelli, Head of HR, ESMO, Via Taddei 4, 6962 Lugano, Switzerland,
Further information: www.esmo.org