Gavi – Vaccine Alliance seeks Head of Public Policy Analysis & Research
Head, Public Policy Analysis & Research
Purpose of the position: Lead analysis, research and content and develop systems for public policy engagement
Department: Public Engagement and Information Services
Team: Public Policy Engagement
Reports to: Director, Public Policy Engagement
N° of positions supervised: 2
Career step level: 5
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 640 million children and the prevention of more than 9 million future deaths.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND DELIVERABLES
- Lead building of policy analysis and research systems in areas related to Gavi’s mandate;
- Provide insight, research, analysis and advocacy materials related to current areas of interest in global health and sustainable development;
- Find and select the best available data and translate into salient arguments and policy advice;
- Quality advice to management on external public policy developments related to Gavi’s mandate;
- Identification of strategic opportunities and challenges for Gavi in the public policy domain.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and coordinate public policy research, briefs and oversee building of a new and dynamic public policy knowledge function to support the Public Policy Engagement Unit, Gavi staff and partners;
- Oversee development of various complex data public policy systems to support policy engagement;
- Monitor trends and policy areas in global health and related fields and provide analysis, advice and public policy positions to engage in relevant discussions and dialogues;
- Relate data, trends and analysis to health and development challenges and opportunities in Gavi countries of interest;
- Ensure accessibility of policy content related to the work of the public policy team to Gavi staff and partners;
- Provide radar function, research and guidance on public policy matters from a health, sustainable development and cross sectoral policy perspective;
- Provide positioning for complex multicountry, national and sub national dialogues and related institutions and fora;
- Be a focal point for several health related platforms;
- Engage with external partners and experts at global, regional and national level to analyse policy, indicators and political commitments from academic sources, institutions, treaty bodies, secretariats, health platforms and governments;
- Coordinate Gavi public policy positions and messaging with Gavi colleagues and alliance partners and others as needed;
- Provide analysis and support for Gavi engagement in policy dialogues;
- Write high quality, meticulously referenced briefs, advices, research papers as needed for specific internal and external audiences;
- Record, check progress, stock take political commitments for accountability and advise solutions to close gaps, energise commitments and speed up implementation related to Gavi priorities;
- Represent Gavi and support senior management to engage in policy dialogues as needed;
- Management and administrative requirements of two staff.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.QUALIFICATIONSAcademic:
- Minimum of graduate level degree in relevant discipline (economics, international relations, public health, government policy).
- Minimum of 12 years of work experience including:
- Research, including policy and data analysis related to sustainable development and/or health;
- Development of public policy positions, messaging, briefs and other materials;
- External representation;
- Knowledge global health architecture desirable
- Experience with management of staff, budgets, timelines.
- Excellent public policy research and analysis;
- Experience in communications and messaging, particularly relating to the needs and experiences of developing countries;
- Strong strategic insight particularly related to geopolitical, health and governance issues;
- Excellent networking and communication skills (written and verbal);
- Proven ability to deliver results;
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work across cultures with the capacity to build strong working relationships within and outside Gavi;
- Knowledge of international relations space;
- Team player.
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Fluency in French;
- Other UN languages an advantage.
- Gavi Secretariat;
- Gavi-eligible countries;
- The Global Fund;
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation;
- The World Bank.
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.If you wish to apply, please visit our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on „Head, Public Policy Analysis & Research „. Applications close September 27th. Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.