ICANN seeks Government and IGOs Engagement – Manager
Government and IGOs Engagement – Manager
(or Senior Manager)
Primary Job Duty: Support the activities of the Geneva Office in country missions engagement and IGOs engagement
As an ICANN representative in Geneva, Switzerland, this person is charged with participation in executing the organization’s strategic and tactical objectives for Government Engagement and IGOs in Geneva. The role requires diplomatic, analytic, educational and outreach related skills needed to fulfill multiple responsibilities required for the successful delivery of the organization’s strategic and operational objectives in our government engagement in Geneva. This role assists the VP for IGO Engagement in Geneva and the Director of Government Engagement in Geneva, engagement with country missions to the United Nations and IGOs and IOs engagement. The role also requires working collaboratively with the VPs of Government Engagement in LA and NY, and RVPs in the regions. Additionally, the person is charged with helping to oversee initiatives between the country missions in Geneva and efforts in national capitals. Direct collaboration is required with the business development groups to work with trade missions for economic affairs in Geneva. This person will report to the SVP for Government and IGOs engagement, and will work closely under supervision, as the person assists the other members in the office each in their remit.
This person will also help work with ICANN’s other departments globally in fulfilling the GE Department role of liaison on government matters at all levels in addition to the fulfillment of the above function in Geneva. This person will help upon request in the preparation of regular reports about the Geneva based engagement activities in coordination with the VP of GE in Los Angeles.
o Help the VP for IGOs in Geneva and Director of Government Engagement in Geneva to fulfill their assignments.
o Work with the rest of the GE Team to update our strategies on Internet Governance and Government and IGO Engagement
o Assist update the engagement plan for ICANN’s outreach work with the country missions to the UN in Geneva, and build on existing achievements in our engagement with the missions under the supervision with our Director of Government Engagement in Geneva.
o Assist the VP or IGO Engagement in Geneva in the execution of his plan by participating in meetings with IGOs, attending conference and speaks at outreach events and participate representing ICANN at IGOs in full coordination with the VP of IGOs in Geneva
o Assist ensuring the execution of the Geneva country missions and trade mission’s engagement plan per the priorities of ICANN’s government/lGO engagement strategy. Further collaboration would be required with the VPs of Government Engagement in NY and LA while helping in executing the Geneva missions’ engagement plans
o Assist managing with the regional VPs, the Geneva mission engagement plan, to ensure involvement of government ministries in the capitals and Government Advisory Committee (GAC) members
o Support the Director for Government Engagement in Geneva and VPs of IGO and Government Engagement, in Geneva and NY, to execute an engagement plan which should include:
- Assist, advocate, and promote ICANN and, its multi-stakeholder model
- Assist with awareness mailings, workshops, roundtable dialog and other events for the Geneva based mission staff about global IG issues relevant to ICANN and the role the MS model
- Assist preparation for high level engagement for the ICANN leadership team with the ambassadors of the country missions to the UN
- Conduct education and outreach with all country missions on IG related issues that touch on ICANN’s work at UN organizations in Geneva
- Assist with organization of regular briefing events for country and trade missions and preparation of material about ICANN’s mission, plans and activities
- Upon the request of the other Government Engagement VPs in NY and LA, help with tasks under their supervision such as attending events generally on behalf of ICANN
- Upon the request of the SVP assist in the preparation of regular reports of the GE department work related to the Geneva office. This task will be directly coordinated with the VP of GE in LA who manages GE overall preparation of reports to management (e.g. quarterly, annually or reporting against goals and KPIs).
- Other duties as assigned or requested
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
- Diplomatic skills and some basic experience with government and IGO issues
- Ability to listen, assess and synthesize multiple data points, opinions in dealing with the country missions in Internet Governance relevant to ICANN and ICANN issues
- Both English and French are mandatory as working languages, and preference to a third UN language is favored, at a level sufficient to conduct job-related business transactions required
- Knowledge of the Internet, Domain Name System and common related issues required
- Knowledge of the UN system and ability to deal with its officials and especially diplomats at country missions to the UN and at IGOs in Geneva
- Ability to communicate complex and often controversial information, concepts, policies and positions, both verbally and in writing, to internal and external audiences, especially to diplomats
- Ability to participate heavily with strong knowledge in events organized by different stakeholders inside and outside Geneva, related to Internet policies and clearly represent the role of ICANN in workshops and events in Geneva and globally
- Ability to work in a global environment with strong awareness and facility in engaging with all cultures and interests in an international city such as Geneva
- Ability to work in a globally distributed organization
- Ability to work with highly diverse workforce coming from different backgrounds
- Basic technical understanding of ICANN MS model is preferred
- Able to work independently (self-motivated) and willing to grow in the roles of Internet policies.
- Ability to travel freely globally
- Ability to work and interact with diplomats at country missions and IGOs and awareness of protocol issues
Education and Experience Requirements
- A degree in international relations, policy, law, international business and/or an appropriate technical qualification required
- Minimum 7 years working in an international legal, governmental and/or multi-stakeholder environment and demonstrated experience in the international arena.
- Prior experience in dealing with governments or IGOs is preferred
More Infos and Application here!