UNCTAD sucht Economic Affairs Officer
Economic Affairs Officer
Org. Setting and Reporting:
This position is located in the Trade Negotiations and Commercial Diplomacy Branch, Division for International Trade and Commodities of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), in Geneva. The Economics Affairs Officer will report to the Head of the Branch or to a Senior Economics Affairs Officer.
Under the supervision of the Head of the Trade Negotiations and Commercial Diplomacy Branch, the Economic Affair Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Economic or sector analysis:
- Monitors economic developments in trade and trade policy and identifies recurrent and emerging issues of concern to the United Nations.
- Monitor and advises member States on trade policy, WTO agreements, accession to WTO and regional integration
- Designs and conducts studies of selected issues on trade in services, in economic development and draft resulting reports.
- Interprets and applies results of econometric modelling to analysis of economic prospects and policies.
- Develops draft policy recommendations pertaining to trade policy, trade negotiations and the international trading system.
- Maintains contacts with the WTO and other relevant international organizations and represents UNCTAD in their various meetings and prepares proposals and briefings for the Secretary-General and Senior Officials;
- Formulates proposals for development strategies, policies and measures for presentation to intergovernmental bodies and others.
- Attends international, regional, and national meetings to hold discussions with representatives of other institutions.
- Organizes expert group meetings, seminars, etc. on development issues.
- Prepares speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff.
- Provides substantive support on economic issues to intergovernmental bodies (such as the General Assembly, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the Economic and Social Council, the Trade and Development Board, the regional commissions and the subsidiary bodies of each).
- Represents organizational unit at international, regional and national meetings.
- Designs, implements and monitors technical cooperation projects.
- Undertakes missions to member states, either alone or as a participant in a diverse team, as part of the Organization’s technical cooperation activities.
- Prepares global, regional, national or sector analyses that provide a basis for advising national governments on economic development issues.
- Conducts training seminars and workshops for government officials and others.
- Formulates technical modalities for the evaluation of individual technical cooperation projects.
- Supports junior staff, reviewing their work and providing feedback.
- Participates in intra- and inter-Departmental undertakings of broader concern to represent the views or interests of the organizational unit.
- Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the work unit’s service.
- Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally.
- Professionalism: Ability to apply economic theories and concepts in different sectors of economic and sustainable development. Ability to identify and analyse trends in trade, trade policy and the multilateral trading system. Ability to conduct independent research on economic topics, determine suitability, validity and accuracy of data provided by different sources. Ability to identify and develop sources for data collection. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in development programmes or related area is required, five of which in analysing trade, trade policy trends and the evolution of the multilateral trading system is desirable. At least three years of experience in implementing trade-related technical assistance projects is desirable. At least three years of experience supporting countries in intergovernmental negotiations in the area of trade and development is desirable. Strong record of publications in the area of trade is an asset.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Further information & application: www.careers.un.org
Denken Sie bitte daran, bei Ihrer Bewerbung www.politjobs.ch zu erwähnen.